And, of course, this is just a list of my general preferences. For just about all of my "dislikes" I can think of fabulous exceptions. If you are making something for me, I can pretty much guarantee I'm going to love it! <3
Tons of thanks to birdsofshore, from whom I stole this format/organization of ideas.
For a more generalized cross-fandom list of likes/dislikes, you can go HERE.
For a list of unclaimed prompts that I've left for various Harry Potter fests, you can go HERE.
updated March 2016
• Harry/Draco is my OTP and I love them to pieces
• Teddy/James Sirius is my favorite after Harry/Draco. I love a BFF friendship between them that evolves into more. With all the mutual pining and but he’s practically my brother and what will our family say that goes along with it. :D
• Slash Cross Gen (In general) I like this best when the older guy is a bit more dominant/predatory with a more innocent younger guy, or with a more seductive younger character with a guilty/reluctant but can’t resist older guy. Favorite pairings include: Harry/Sirius, Draco/Severus, Draco/Albus Severus or James Sirius, & Charlie/Teddy [The only Cross Gen pairing that really comes to mind as a no-go is Harry/Scorpius]
• Any pairing that shows up on any of my recs lists: A few favorites are James Sirius/Albus Severus, James/Sirius, Harry/Ron, Albus/Gellert, & Charlie/Draco
• Secondary Pairings: When it comes to secondary pairings, I generally prefer canon couples. I'm actually much pickier about my secondary pairings that I am about the primary pairings I read, especially for Harry. If he isn't in the main pairing, I really only want to see him with Draco (provided Draco isn't in the main pairing either) or Ginny.
• Infidelity (especially between Harry/Draco, I'm more okay with them cheating on their wives to be together, but still not my favorite of things)
• Major Character Death (this is a pretty hard no)
• Child death (miscarriages, fics where a child has died, or fics dealing with the aftermath of child death)
• Rape/non-con (especially between Harry and Draco)
• Unhappy endings (though ambiguous is generally okay, especially if hopeful)
• Harry with any woman other than Ginny (mentioned in passing/in the past is okay, but not as a large part of a fic or a main pairing, even a secondary pairing)
• Harry/Scorpius or James Sirius/Scorpius (pretty much my two main NOTPs)
[Dislikes]Things I would rather not read:
• Mpreg (doesn't usually grab me--I'm pretty particular--but I prefer preg!Harry)
• Heavy angst (I don't find suffering/angst to be at all cathartic)
• Polyamory (just more of a pairings person, also not a huge fan of threesomes w/ my OTP generally speaking)
• Breakup!Fic (for some reason this trope just depresses me)
• Kid!Fic (not generally a fan of kid-centric H/D fic or overly cute children)
• Character bashing (especially Ron and Hermione bashing)
• Wand Insertion (IDK what to call this one , but please don't stick wands up any orifices...)
• Genderplay (fics that focus on gender/gender identity tend to be more complicated for me due to personal reasons, so if you're writing a fic for me, I'd probably recommend you avoid it unless you know me really well. I'm also not generally a fan of fics that feature either Harry or Draco as a cis girl.)
• Draco with long hair (this one's a bit silly, I know)
• 2nd person POV (generally speaking. I've read a few I've enjoyed, but it's a harder sell)
• Sexual Terms (a few specifics: not crazy about men calling each other their "bitch" in a sexual context, please don't refer to assholes as a man's pussy/cunt, please don't use the spelling cum)
• Fics without sex (this one is more "in general")
• This last one is pretty Harry specific, but I really prefer when Harry has never been involved with or at least never been in love with another man, and, to a lesser extent any women other than Ginny. I don't know why, but Harry being in love with somebody other than Draco makes me feel kind of gross. Except for Ginny. I can handle him just fine with Ginny. Not as bothered by it in Draco's case.
Tropes that aren’t my favorite:
• big gay hogwarts
• down and out!draco
• time travel
• body swap
• Witty dialogue and banter
• Getting-together fics
• PWP, long!fic, short!fic, plotty!fic (ALL THE FIC)
• UST (especially when eventually resolved)
• 8th year Hogwarts, Immediately Post-War, and Post-Hogwarts are my favorites. I prefer the boys somewhat younger, early-mid 20's
• I enjoy Epilogue Compliant as well, but the others are my preferred Eras
• Tattoos and scars
• Leather Jacket!Harry (+ Sirius’ motorcycle...)
• Acknowledgment of Harry’s crappy childhood, how that affects him in life
• Draco being a little bit taller, Harry being a bit more muscular
• Wearing each other's clothing
• Clever/Bookish/Brainy Draco
• Competent/Intelligent Harry
• Unusual jobs when done believably
• I have a thing for wrists and throats, characters being drawn to them, wrists being pinned to a surface, hands splayed possessively over a throat, exposed necks and collarbones...
• Draco having a support system in his Slytherin friends. I really prefer when they are a bit suspicious/mistrusting of Harry & co. Not hostile, but I don't love when Draco's "people" seem to be better friends with Harry than with Draco.
• I love Ron and Hermione, together and separately. If not together, I prefer straight!Ron and I really love lesbian!Hermione or don’t-need-no-man!Hermione (lesbian!Ginny is also great)
• Creature!Fic: Veela, Werewolves, Vampires, bring it on! Slight preference for Creature!Draco
• Forced proximity: Confined spaces, shared bed, forced to work/room together
• Bonding!fic: Forced, accidental, physical, mental, it's all good!
• Sex for ~reasons~: Sex magic, sex compulsion, fuck or die, sex pollen
• Quidditch!fic: With all the sexy uniforms, rivalries, and locker room/shower!sex
• 3rd person POV is my preferred tense (I also like 1st person, but it can be a bit more hit or miss for me, 2nd person is my least favorite but, again, I've read some brilliant ones)
• Past and Present Tense are equally wonderful
• Linear timelines (I like non-linear when it's relatively straightforward. I don't enjoy feeling confused about when things are happening; I'm too much of a control freak)
Things I adore (mostly in smut):
• DIRTY TALK
• BDSM: D/s dynamics, spanking, paddling, blindfolds, handcuffs, collars, ropes, restraints, kneeling, orgasm denial
• Blow jobs, especially on knees. Also love a good face-fucking (in fic)
• Intercrural and intergluteal sex
• Arse play, rimming, fingering, especially after having sex or when slightly sore (from previously having sex)
• Rough or angry sex
• Sleepy sex and somnophilia
• Tender and intense sex
• Sex in places that aren’t the bed (Shower sex, wall sex, table sex, desk sex...)
• a/b/o dynamics, including, but not limited to: knotting, heat cycles, claiming, mates, etc.
• Power play. Inequality (in the bedroom).
• Age disparity. Cross gen.
• Professor/student, boss/employee, other power play scenarios
• Basically I just really have a thing for scenarios where the characters shouldn't be having sex/want to have sex.
• Dub con. I really adore dub con. Especially when the one getting it ends up really desperate for it.
• Praise!kink and to some extent daddy!kink (I really don’t like daddy kink for H/D at all though, and I prefer a lighter hand when used in general)
• Uniforms: boots, leather, buttons, buckles, gloves
• Thin nightshirts
• Partially clothed sex
• Cross-dressing is hit-or-miss for me, but for some reason I love a bit of panty!kink
• First times. Inexperience. Clumsiness. Innocence. Awkwardness. Nervousness. Either both partners are nervous or one being more composed and experienced. (if it's H/D, I generally prefer Draco to be the more experienced one).
• When it comes to H/D I don’t mind who does what, and my preference is for switching, either explicitly shown or implied. That being said, I do adore top!Draco, if I had to pick just one. When it comes to Cross Gen, I tend to prefer the older character topping.
• I tend to enjoy stories with Draco as the Dom. I believe Draco's vulnerabilities and disenfranchisement after the War would make him naturally want to take the dominating role. Likewise, I see Harry finding great relief and satisfaction in letting go as a sub. I have a really difficult time buying Harry as a Dom lately, for a plethora of reasons, so if that's what you prefer to write, it's probably best to stay away from BDSM-type things for me. :) [italicized part belongs to birdsofshore because I could not have put it any better]