For those who don't know, crack_broom is a Harry Potter reccing community. Basically you sign up for a month and pairing type (such as H/D, Next Gen, or fics with Charlie as part of the Main Pairing), and commit to reccing 4 fics and/or pieces of art over the course of the month. It's an AWESOME resource when you become obsessed with a new pairing, and spreading the love around is always a great thing. It looks complicated, but I promise you, it really isn't.
Come fly the crack_broom!
How to Participate (In 6 Easy Steps!!)
- Read the RULES. Essentially what you need to know is: 4 recs per month, only 2 of these can have been previously recced on the comm, don't rec more than 2 times in one day.
- Check the BIG QUEUE to see what "brooms" already have a rider for the Month. For example, for January you can see gracerene next to the H/D broom. :D
- Go to the SIGN-UP POST and leave a comment with the month and broom you'd like to claim. Feel free to claim multiple months at a time if you're so inclined.
- Think about what you want rec. Before making a final decision, make sure you look at the DATABASE OF PAST RECS. Only two of your recs can be on this list. I generally just hit CTRL + F and then search for the name/author of what I'd like to rec to see if it's on this list. Mostly it's older stuff, so if you want to rec newer stuff, you're likely in the clear!
- Grab the POSTING TEMPLATE for the medium you are reccing for (the templates are under spoiler cuts), and fill out the relevant fields.
- Post to the crack_broom community during the month you signed up for! I usually do all of my recs at the beginning of the month and then schedule them to post over the next few weeks so I don't forget. :)
How easy is that?!?
Recs have been really down this past year, which is a total bummer, because recs are a wonderful way to find really great stuff. Reccing is a wonderful way to show authors and artists how much you loved their work, and it really doesn't take that long at all--just think of all the time and effort authors and artist put into creating their works for you to enjoy!
And if you have any questions, feel free to poke me with them. I've been reccing there for over 3 years now, so I'm fairly familiar with the format. :D