DECEMBER ROUND-UPDecember Word Count Goal: 7,146 / 5,000
Exceeded my goal for the month, if only just! To be fair, most of those words are outline words and barely count. BUT, I do count outline words as to me it's progress and part of my overall process, so I'm not mad at it, especially as my muse as been spotty at best the past 3 months.
- Drarry PWP: finished drafting & editing.
- Possible harrydracobang: started outline
- Possible hp_goldenage: wrote some words.
- Dream!Fic: vaguely outlined and wrote some words
- Random Drarry Plotbunny: jotted down some scene ideas
2020 Writing Wrap-UpI'm happy because I managed to meet my word count goal for the year, though a bit bummed as it's my lowed WC since I started writing by nearly 50k, so... Then again, two major surgeries and a global pandemic can tend to fuck with the muse, so I really can't complain!
Total fics posted in 2020: 34
2020 Total Word Count Goal: 151,229 / 150,000
2020 Total Writing Days Goal: 223 / 240
2020 Priorities - How Did I Do?
- Monthly/Bi-Monthly Challenges: daily_deviant & hpfemslash-minifest: Success! Participated every month there were themes! I also did seasonofkink and rarepair_shorts in the summer!
- Fests (Multi-pairing & at least one Drarry-specific): Success! I participated in the 3 fests I specifically wanted to participate in (along with several others) and I did 2 Drarry-specific fests when I wanted to do at least one.
- Ageplay Fic: Success! I was struggling with this one, but then there was a prompt for hd_fan_fair's Sex Fair that worked well with the idea I'd been working on and I was able to get my butt in gear and submit for that!
- hp_crossgenfest reject: Success! I ended up using last year's reject idea for the 2020 fest since I had more time to dedicate to the slightly longer idea!
- Gift!Fics: Success! I was able to write a number of gift!fics this past year. :D
- Deaged Fic: Fail. :/ Still love the concept but the actual plot is eluding me and I've yet to hit upon that perfect situation where everything falls into place.
- Taking Chances Sequel: Fail :/ I wanted to try and outline this one and made zero progress on it all year. I've got a lot of concepts that I'd love to explore in the sequel, but I'm just not sure it'll ever happen...
Fests participated in during 2020: hpkinkfest, hp_goldenage, hp-inspiredby, hd-hurtfest, hp_crossgenfest, bbtp_challenge, hd_fan_fair, hp_nextgen_fest, weasleyjumpers, hp_halloween, hd_erised. I also wrote fics for community prompts over at daily_deviant and hpfemslash-minifest
Favourite work: Bitter. Sweet. Alive. (Draco/Harry, 6.7k, Explicit)
Work you're most proud of: Here Without You (Draco/Harry, 27k, Explicit)
Your most under-appreciated work: Here Without You (Draco/Harry, 27k, Explicit)
Your most over-appreciated work: Honey-Sweet (Draco/Harry, 1.9k, Explicit) I wouldn't say this one is massively over-appreciated, as it's not been hyped or anything. But it's my 5th most kudos'd fic of the year, and it's probably one of my least favorite things I've written. I wrote for a pinch hit that I wouldn't have taken on if I hadn't sort of been the last resort as the prompt just really wasn't quite for me.
Favorite title:Kiss With a Fist (James/Sirius, 3.4k, Explicit)
Mostly because it makes me snort to myself every time.
Least favorite title:Mirror, Mirror (James Sirius/Oliver, 2.4k, Explicit)
I just don't think the title is that reflective of the content, but I was totally stumped...
Weirdest thing you had to research for a writing project:
I wouldn't classify it as "weird", but the most research I did was on ageplay/daddy kink/age regression for True Children Still (Draco/Harry, 34k, Explicit).
Project that was the most difficult to write: True Children Still (Draco/Harry, 34k, Explicit)I specifically wanted to write this fic because it's a kink that I don't generally enjoy with this particular pairing, and I wanted to challenge myself to write it in a way that I found believable. However, that meant that writing it was often quite difficult because I had to do a lot of mental work to get myself and the characters where I wanted them.
Work you want to write one day, but haven't yet started:
Same answer as last year, which is that I have a really vague idea for a Deaged fic that I'd love to have an excuse to really flesh out and actually write. At the moment, it's really just a concept with no actual plot, but I really like the idea of it.
Work you thought you would never write, but finally did: Here Without You (Draco/Harry, 27k, Explicit)
Y'all, I outlined this fic in 2015!! But at the time, I didn't have the writing chops to pull the fic off the way I envisioned it, and I sort of thought I'd neve write it. This year, I realised changing a small part of the story would get rid of a lot of the barriers I'd been facing, and then when hd-hurtfest announced its return, I figured it was perfect timing to finally write my MCD fic!
Longest amount of time passed between starting a project and finally finishing it:Here Without You (Draco/Harry, 27k, Explicit)
From idea conception/outline to publishing the fic, this one was a little over 5 years...
Favourite opening line:Thunderstruck (Charlie/Teddy, WC, Explicit)
The storm had been raging for hours before Teddy finally deigned to speak to him.
Favourite ending line: Battleline (Draco/James Sirius, 19k, Explicit)
Next to him, the grandfather clock began to chime midnight.
What pairing/genre/fandom did you write that you would never have predicted in January 2019?
Maybe Parvati/Ron inTake Me on a Chase (1.5k, Explicit). Not because it's so ~out there~ but because it's not a pairing I'd ever read or considered before, and het isn't generally something I write a lot of unless it's super filthy and wrong.
Did you take any writing risks this year? What did you learn from them?:I did! I wrote a major character death fic. Which... it did about as well as I figured it would do, but I'm not that bothered because I'm really happy with it!
This entry was originally posted here on Dreamwidth. Please comment there using OpenID